datapitstop » Grant County Government, Indiana » Health Department » Environmental »FAQDirectory
401 S Adams St
Marion, IN 46953
(765) 668-8871
Office hours: 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Monday-Friday
How do I get a septic permit?
You must fill out an application and get a soil analysis completed. The application can be downloaded from or you may call the Health Department and request one be mailed or faxed to you. The application needs to be submitted to this office. An ARCPACS Certified Soil Scientist must be scheduled to complete a soil analysis at your location. A partial list of Certfied Soil Scientists is listed with our application. These are the ones that we typically see come to Grant County to work. A complete listing can be obtained from the Health Department. Once the Health Department has both your completed application and the soil analysis, we will send you the minimum requirements for your septic system. This will include the type of system, the different components required, the size and depth of the system and any requirements for drainage. You can then take this to your septic contractor. Your contractor will then need to go to the site, design and layout the system and shoot elevation shots. The contractor must submit detailed installation plans to the Health Department. The Health Department staff will then review the plans to make sure they meet the minimum requirements. When the plans have been approved, the septic permit will be issued.

Back Home